29 May where to start?
For me, the answer to that question is ‘here’ and ‘now’. This is where and when change always starts. As for the first steps on our journey to change, many are possible, going in a multitude of different directions. The Star Tool is a structured set of questions that I often use to guide me when I embark on making a change, on a new project, or on achieving a new goal. It captures this notion of multiple routes leading to a particular destination. It recognises the fact that action, movement and change are not linear.
Once I have decided where I want to go, in my personal or professional life, I ask myself 6 questions to help me reach my destination:
- What do I need to stop or stop doing?
- What do I need to develop, nourish, or grow?
- What do I need to invent, initiate, maybe do for the first time?
- What do I need to do less of? Reduce?
- What do I need to keep or keep doing?
- What concrete steps do I need to take to act upon the ideas and decisions above? What will be my first step? When will I take it?
If you want to try the tool for yourself, you can download it here.